Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Wednesday

Three Year Anniversary: Better!

I recently celebrated my 3rd anniversary of breast cancer survival and it's bitter-sweet.

My Mom was just diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer. I can't emphasize enough, that early detection is key!!! And now with a strong family history of cancer, my daughter & niece MUST be diligent with their check-ups.

My Mom had a similar bumpy road start as I did. The initial diagnosis from her needle biopsy was NON-invasive ductal carcinoma, stage 0. She had surgery to remove the cells and the pathology report came back indicating it was invasive ductal carcinoma, stage 1. After my strong urging of her 1st oncologist (go figure, Kaiser) to check her lymph nodes, the pathology report stated that the cancer had invaded 2 of 4 lymph nodes, and put my Mom at Stage 2, which increases the odds of cancer spreading to other organs, requiring chemo and other treatments. My Mom is a very private person and hasn't really spoken much about this, except for a close friend & family.. so all I can ask is to please send positive thoughts her way!

As for my health, I've hit some rough patches, but nothing I can't handle..

After months of testing, last year I was finally diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, which causes arthritis-like symptoms in various joints & spine. I'm now taking meds & it seems to be under control.

I thought I was in menopause.. but just short of 3 years, my body started changing on me again! My hormone levels are fluctuating and causing some issues, so my gyno & oncologist will be working together to determine a treatment plan. "this too, shall pass!"

In a few months I will be turning the big four-ohhhhhh.. I'm looking at this milestone birthday as a time to say adios to the uphill climb in my late 30s.. and "aloha" to a new decade of adventures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home