Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Wednesday

Two Year Anniversary: Stronger

It has now been 2 years since I was diagnosed with breast cancer. I am much stronger, physically and mentally.

I am in remission, but recurrence has been on my mind frequently, especially this month.

Lingering side effects of treatment still include issues with my toes and fingernails, and blood tests officially confirm I am in menopause (having hot flashes). My hair is still growing back and with some very persistent waves, but I’m not complaining!

This year my health took a minor detour and I was given a likely diagnosis of Crohns. For the past several months I have been taking Prednisone, a steroid to reduce inflammation, and am finally being weaned off of it. The main side effects are increased appetite (which resulted in weight gain) and night time restlessness (lack of sleep!).

Looking back over the last 2 years, what stands out to me most, are my relationships that are stronger because of what we went through together. I know who I can count on and who can count on me... and to never take those people for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home