Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Tuesday

Radiation: 1st week



I have completed 6 sessions of radiation, 27 to go! The treatments are very quick (in & out in 30") and painless.
It's pretty early in the treatment, so no real complaints yet.. just some mild itching (probably because I have sensitive fair skin) and I've noticed only slight redness in some areas.

Here's a picture of me in 1 of the 3 positions used for treatment (the gown stays over my chest during the actual treatment):


A few more side effects from chemo:

"Chemo Brain" or my brain is short circuiting; I lose words in the middle of a conversation, I am misplacing things constantly (esp. my keys), we'd probably starve if I didn't keep a grocery list (even for 3 items) and I'm still a little overwhelmed in busy or high stress environments.

I finally lost a fingernail.. It's sensitive, but not as bad as anticipated.. I'm fairly sure the rest of my nails will be just fine.

I've lost all but 4 eyelashes (I have 2 on each eye now).

My joints/ligaments get stiff & pop a bit when I move them (maybe this is a sign of aging???)

Overall, I am doing better everyday.. the stuff mentioned above is relatively minor compared to what my body went thru recovering from surgery & chemo.

~Christine



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home