Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Thursday

Herceptin Complete!


It has been approximately 6 months since I finished radiation.. Two weeks ago I had a clear mammogram and tonite during my final infusion, I was told that my MRI scans confirmed that my cancer is officially in remission!

Today was special. My final infusion was administered by Cathy, who was the same nurse who was with me during my first chemo treatments.. it was an amazing coincidence considering she works 2 days a week and I haven't seen her since early this year. I was also honored by having Winnie join me for this final treatment.. Here is a picture of Cathy, me & Winnie:


James is a medical assistant who kept me company during my treatments by telling me stories about his evenings out with his cousins and would bring me warm blankets that just melted me into the best naps. Here is a picture of James & me:


Currently, my body is acting menopausal/chemopausal (I am taking medication because the hot flashes were waking me up frequently during the nite), I still have a little numbness in parts of my toes and several of my finger/toenails are still slowly recovering.. my hair, brows & eyelashes keep growing back.. I'm becoming more & more like my old self!

Next Step:
Time to celebrate!!!

Next week I have my quarterly echocardiogram to check my heart, and then a followup with my Oncologist to find out my next step!

~Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home