Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Tuesday

Radiation: 6th Week

So far I have completed 26 treatments, I have 2 regular treatments left, then 5 "boosts."
If all continues to plan, April 6th will be my last radiation treatment! I am getting pretty red, especially on my collar bone, so that treatment area has been postponed, but overall it's tolerable - I've had worst sunburns!

Yesterday, Monday, 3/27 I had an ultrasound to take measurements of the cavity where my tumor was. It will help the radiologist determine the settings of the final "boost" treatments.

Just over a week ago, 3/16 I had another echocardiogram to be sure my heart is still fine with the Herceptin.

Physical Update:
My toes are still fairly numb and some of my toenails have dark lines that are slowly growing out. My knees, hips and back aren't getting quite as stiff, so I think my body is adjusting to the Tamoxifen plus I've been trying to drink more water & walk more. I'm still experiencing hot flashes, mostly at night, but they aren't bothering me yet. My eyelashes are growing back pretty quickly, and my brows are suddenly start to fill in.. the hair on my head is slowly, but surely coming back too!

Emotional Update:
I'm still feeling overwhelmed. Last week I had a couple rough moments through treatment, and I'm not sure what specifically is causing me to be so emotional.. Maybe the shock of diagnosis is wearing off.. Maybe going from diagnosis, to surgeries, chemo & radiation without a break is catching up to me.. Maybe my hormones are wacky.. Maybe I have separation anxiety about being done with radiation (although I still have over a week left)..

I do know, "this too, shall pass"....

2 Comments:

At April 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I searched the internet fromt being scared of my own impending cancer treatment, I discovered your posts. I have recently undergone a lumpectomy and will begin chemotherapy followed with radiation as you have done. Your diary has been more enlightening than anything I have read in an attempt to prepare myself for my own "roller coaster ride." Thank you for maintining your persistance in documenting your aventure through very challenging treatments and side effects. I pray for your continued healing for both body and spirit as you close this challenging chapter in your life. Thank you again, Terra Poole, Saint Pauls, NC - jpoole14@nc.rr.com

 
At April 01, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I searched the internet from being scared of my own impending cancer treatment, I discovered your posts. I have recently undergone a lumpectomy and will begin chemotherapy followed with radiation as you have done. Your diary has been more enlightening than anything I have read in an attempt to prepare myself for my own "roller coaster ride." Thank you for maintining your persistance in documenting your adventure through very challenging treatments and side effects. I pray for your continued healing for both body and spirit as you close this challenging chapter in your life. Thank you again, Terra Poole, Saint Pauls, NC - jpoole14@nc.rr.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home