Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Thursday

One Year Anniversary: I'm a Lucky One

On Monday, July 18, 2005 at 3:15pm in the afternoon, I was told cancer cells were found in my right breast.

An afternoon that I will not soon forget.

My heart was beating hard and fast, and I couldn't control the tears flowing from my eyes. I remember the doctor talking, but I could only hear myself thinking "please shut up and just get it out." I don't want to die, my kids still need me.
I called my husband, Kris, and told him between sobs, "I need you to come here, I have cancer." I can't imagine what he must have been feeling when I said those words.

It's been an amazing journey. One that I wish nobody would have to endure. I have been gifted with loving friends and family who offered their support from the very beginning. I learned what some friendships are capable of overcoming. I have even been lucky enough to grow new friendships along the way.

I was honored to have special friends and family celebrate my one year anniversary on July 18, 2006 by having a Pot Luck Dessert. How sweet it was! Even though we were in the beginning of a heatwave, just about everyone was able to come, making the party a complete success. I certainly felt the love.

I didn't take nearly enough pictures of the celebration, but at least here's one showing some of the desserts:





Here's a picture of Charlotte, all dressed up with a few unique gifts.
A very special breast cancer survivor gave me the shirt, and Chevron's 2005 Breast Cancer Awareness car was given to me by Paula.



The celebrations will keep coming in the near future as I am getting closer to finishing up my Herceptin infusions (still set to conclude in November).

With Love,

~Christine

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home