Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Friday

Chemo Junk, Radiation & Hormone Therapy


Chemo Junk
My final chemo treatment was on January 26, 2006 and it was the toughest recovery of all. The fatigue set in, neurapathy got worse, more bone pain, and just the general junkiness seemed to linger. It's been 2 weeks, and except for my endurance, I'm finally starting to feel like myself again. I have been on an emotional rollercoaster, which is NORMAL reaction after completing chemo. It's overwhelming to think of what cancer has meant to me.. so with a little push, I have decided to seek the help of a counselor.

Radiation Therapy
Radiation is a follow up to the lumpectomies, it should destroy any cancer cells that may have been left behind during the surgery. I had a consultation with my radiation oncologist on February 2, who explained why I'm having radiation, and what to expect. On February 7, I had the 1st of 2 appointments to develop a treatment plan for radiation.
A mold was made of my back by laying on a large plastic bag filled about 1" thick with a warming gel substance. I will be using the mold during radiation treatments to be sure I'm laying in the exact same position each time. My tumor area was confirmed by a CT scan while still laying on the mold. I was then "tattooed" with 2 permanent dots to assist in lining me up so radiation would be administered in the exact area each visit. My treatments (standard for most breast cancer patients) will be Monday thru Friday, for just over 6 weeks. The next appointment is scheduled for February 16, and at that time the treatment plan will be confirmed. I should begin radiation treatment shortly there after (I'm guessing February 21, 2006).

Hormone Therapy
On February 9, I met with my medical oncologist to discuss "the next steps" in my treatment. Because estrogen is a factor in the growth of breast cancer, I have been prescribed Tamoxifen, which blocks estrogen receptors on cells. I was told about the side effects, but have decided they are worth the risk in order to prevent this cancer from recurring.

Future Screening
After radiation is complete, my medical oncologist and radiation oncologist will determine when to start screening for recurrence. Too soon, could result in a false-positive and an unnecessary surgery. Generally, screening is done every 6 months, then yearly. I have been scheduled for another (my 3rd) Echo Cardiogram for March, to be sure my heart is still handling the Herceptin with the dose-dense chemo I received. I will continue with the Herceptin, but every 3 weeks instead of weekly.

So now, I'm working on radiation and will continue updating as appropriate..

Below is a picture of a dinner celebration of my last chemo on January 26, 2006 with my Dad, brother Micky, Nicole, (me) and my Mom:




~Christine

2 Comments:

At February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine -- I'm glad to hear all the great news and that you're on the mend. Think about you often. We need to celebrate when you're up for it. florence (you got all my contact info).

 
At February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Christine -- Glad it's going well. We are overdue for a celebration. Call when you're up for it .... your Cisco gal pal.. Florence

 

Post a Comment

<< Home