Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Thursday

15th Chemo: Taxol Complete!

My 15th and FINAL CHEMO was today, January 26, 2006.

For those counting, last week's treatment was skipped, and today I finished with a regular treatment (instead of a double treatment).

During & after my 14th chemo on Jan 12, problems developed: most of my fingers & toes had a "pins and needles feeling" (neuropathy) which turned painful, indicating a high toxicity level, 5 finger nails lifted (not related to neuropathy), and my thumb became infected (needing a little "procedure"). PLUS, my sinus congestion developed into a sinus infection. I was a mess.
My doctor prescribed 2 medications, then recommended skipping last week's chemo (I didn't skip the Herceptin though).

I have mixed feelings about skipping a treatment, I certainly don't want permanent damage to my nerves, yet I want to do everything I can to eliminate any cancer cells that may be lurking. It was tough news, but my doctor was convinced holding treatment was the right decision.

In addition to my own recent issues, both my Mom & Grandma were admitted to separate hospitals (pneumonia & hernia respectively) and both have been released and are recovering at their homes. After their returns, my brother Micky was diagnosed with walking pneumonia and also is recovering.

My recovery is going well, the antibiotic is doing its job, the infections cleared up, and my fingers aren't as painful, but my nails aren't too pretty & I can't hide them behind polish, but at least I'm not cringing when I use my hands. And most importantly, I was healthy enough to receive my final treatment.

The 2nd part of my cancer journey is finally over and I made it! I did it with the help of all my family and friends. Everyone's ongoing thoughts, prayers, calls, cards, Emails, IM's, gifts, generous gift certificates, dinners/nights out and entertainment with Jacklynn & James are very appreciated and will never be forgotten. I feel honored by the love and support I am receiving.

Moving forward:

Next week I have a consultation with the Radiation Oncologist to learn the details of radiation treatment.
I will also receive my final weekly dose of Herceptin, moving to an every 3 week basis after.

The following week I meet with my Medical Oncologist to determine "the Next Step" (hormone treatment). Should be interesting, because of my age, I will have several options available.

Now it's time to start celebrating.. I completed an important milestone in my journey!

Love & Gratitude,
~Christine

2 Comments:

At January 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine.. Fabulous. sounds like a celebratory victory dinner is not too far away. When you're feeling up and about, give us Cisco gals a call and dinner's on me! You got my number girlfriend...Congratulations!!!!! ...florence

 
At January 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christine -- AWESOME... Sounds like a celebratory victory dinner is not too far away. Give me a call and dinner is on me!!! You got my number. Let me know when you're up and about and name the place/date/time. Congratulations..... Florence

 

Post a Comment

<< Home