Christine's Personal Journey with Breast Cancer

I have been diagnosed with Stage II Invasive Ductal Carcinoma (Breast Cancer). My survivorship began on July 18, 2005. The tumor was 1.7cm, ER/PR+, HER2-NEU+. Cancer was present in 3 of 17 lymph nodes. Treatment consists of the following: Lumpectomies, Chemo (AC/T), Herceptin, Radiation & Hormone Therapy (Tamoxifen)

Monday

SIX YEAR ANNIVERSARY: Still Learning...

This year has been an eye opener! Here's how it went down, so far..

In January, I saw my oncologist to discuss next steps.. she recommended that I have my ovaries/tubes removed, as a preventative measure, which would block the main source of estrogen (which influences cancer). I really wasn't ready for more medical intervention. During these last couple years, I've had 2 female procedures done because of hormone issues, toenails removed because of chemo, and endless Dr appointments and labs to diagnose all the joint swelling & pain. So I decided not to act on this recommendation right then.

In February, after 5 years of taking Tamoxifen, I took my last dose. I even stopped taking my meds for the inflammatory arthritis symptoms. Guess what, no arthritis pain! So, I learned from the internet that researchers discovered Tamoxifen DOES cause joint pain, and a good number of patients STOPPED taking the drug because of it! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.. I was relieved to FINALLY find a source to all the joint swelling/pain, but not too pleased that I was wasting so much time & money at the rheumatologist's office, and dumping a drug that I can't spell, into my body for these last few years.

In April, my hormones returned with a vengence. The moods, cramps and bloating were relentless. One breast hurt so much I would wake up at night when I turned over, or felt pain at the slightest touch, run or stomp. I tried Midol, Motrin, Tylenol, Advil & Pamprin with no relief. I ended up using Vicodin which basically knocked me out and I was able to sleep off the misery, and spare my family from my wrath. Mammograms & Ultrasounds were negative, so the lab techs thought it might be hormone issues.

In May, I asked my OB for relief.. during our visit, I had mentioned my Oncologist's suggestion of removing the ovaries, and she agreed to do it after her sabatical. So tomorrow, July 19, I will be put into instant permanent menopause. It's a tough thought, but having quality time with my family is worth it.

What a journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home